Research Programs and Facilities:
Research is carried out in applied sciences and engineering as well as in pure science.
The Department of Applied Chemistry & Chemical Engineering has contributed significantly to higher education and research in the areas of Fuels and Petro-Chemicals, Polymer Technology, Nano-Technology, Science of Materials, Analytical Techniques and Environmental Science & Engineering.
However, it needs mentioning that the department has mostly conventional laboratory facilities. It does not have very well-equipped and modernized laboratory facilities for higher research, having at the moment only UV/Visible Spectrophotometer, a GLC system and FT-IR. But shortly the department has a plan to procure the latest model Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer. Though the present infrastructure and laboratory facilities do not help to perform hi-tech R&D projects but the department closely interacts with the Centre for Advanced Research in Science, Dhaka University, the industries, R&D organizations and professional institutions like Atomic Energy Commission, BCSIR, ICDDR’B and BAPEX laboratories for joint research projects. It is high time that adequate fund should be provided by the University, University Grants Commission, Ministry or other Funding Agencies so that highly qualified teachers of this department have the scope to work with devotion and their research findings may bring immense benefit to the nation for which the discipline is meant. Even in such an adverse situation teachers of the department are trying to develop process technology, suitable for setting up of small and medium scale industries.
It may be mentioned that in the current year the Department has been awarded with Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) under the Academic Innovation Fund of the University Grants Commission, Ministry of Education, Govt of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the World Bank (Window 1: Teaching – Learning), entitled “Quality Enhancement of Undergraduate and MS Program: Improvement of Teaching-Learning at Undergraduate and Master’s level of the Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.” This would help undergraduate students with a strong foundation of theoretical and practical knowledge, especially in engineering discipline and also for carrying out good research work in future on vital issues like alternative sustainable solution of the energy crisis and waste management problem. It is expected that as an outcome some vital improvement indicators will change in the positive way, such as graduation time, graduation rate and grade average will improve significantly. This will lead to improved learning environment with access to better study tools, laboratory and internet facilities and infrastructure development. It would thus open new opportunities to launch collaborative and cooperative academic programs and linkages with national and foreign universities.
Current research programs of the department include the following:
- Development of indigenous technology;
- Monitoring the quality of water, food, drug and consumer products manufactured and marketed in Bangladesh;
- Analytical chemistry of trace components in environmental samples
- Surface and underground water pollution and treatment technology
- Arsenic contamination of underground water & its remedy.
- Characterization of crude oil, natural gas and coal from different fields and appropriate technology development for processing and their rational uses.
- Technology development for lubricating oil and recycling of used oil.
- Energy Efficiency Improvements in Chemical Industry & Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction.
- Synthetic organic chemistry and its commercial application;
- Research on extraction of essential oils and formulation of perfumes and fragrances;
- Renewable Energy; fuel cells,
- Processing of vegetables, fruits, fish and meat product using solar energy (Equipments &Processes);
- Studies on Herbal medicines, technology of their manufacture and evaluation,
- Membrane and nano-technology, etc.